Even though the majority of us prefer to let our dogs stay indoors, there are still times when letting a dog out in the yard is best for both your home and the dog. That means that there should always be a place for the dog to feel safe and escape the cold or the heat. That is to say: a dog house.
This type of dog house is a small shelter for your dog that is made out of wood pallets. They’re easy to make and not particularly expensive to buy. If you’re looking for the best pallet house for pups, check out the list below.
DIY Pallet Dog House
Contrary to popular belief, doing something yourself doesn’t mean that it’s going to be harder or more expensive. In fact, building an easy pallet dog home is often cheaper and more rewarding.
To build your own DIY pallet house for your dog, all you need is a pallet board, plywood, board beams for pillars, and pallet board planks.
A simple pallet house can be put together even if you don’t consider yourself particularly handy. All you need is an idea of what you want it to look like, a hand drill, and some screws. It doesn’t have to be fancy: four walls and roof will keep the sun off your dog’s face and keep him warm in the cooler months.
There are plenty of pros to having a DIY pallet hound house. You can decide what it looks like! You’ll have total creative control over what you want your dog house to look like. Of course, the cons are that building is time and labor-intensive. There’s a learning curve when it comes to building your own pallet pup house if you’ve never done so before.
Here are some of the best DIY dog house with pallets plans that will make the perfect home for your furry companion, no matter the season.
Beginner Dog House Plans
Lowe’s has a great Beginning Dog House Plan if you’re looking to start building your first DIY pallet dog home. It’s a free plan, and it comes included with a list of all of the materials and tools that you’ll need. It’s a great plan that will fit a small-to-average size dog. This house is a simple four-walled A-frame pallet canine house with one entrance in the front.
The instructions of this plan come with optional ideas on how to add shingles to the roof to match your own house.
- Easy dog house for beginners
- You don’t need to have a wide range of knowledge when it comes to DIY in order to put this together
- It comes with all of the instructions and a list of the materials that you need
- While easy to make, this pallet house isn’t the most visually pleasing
- This beginner dog house won’t work for a larger breed of dog
Pallet Dog House With a Deck Plans
If you’re looking to have a slightly fancier pallet pooch house, these dog houses with a deck plan from Jen Woodhouse might be just what you’re looking for. This particular pallet hound house is a slanted roof dog house with a little deck, a place to put their toys, as well as a spot for their food and water.
- A unique and creative dog house that has a place to store food and water, as well as toys
- It can fit anywhere from small to large breeds of dogs
- Plans come with a materials list, tool list, step-by-step instructions, as well as diagrams to help you along the way
- While the plans are free, you will need to sign up for a newsletter in order to get the PDF sent to your email
Better for more experienced DIY-ers rather than beginners
Recycled Wood Pallet Dog House Plans
If you’re a little more seasoned with some DIY projects, you might want to check out what you can do with all of that extra wood you undoubtedly have laying around.
This rustic looking A-frame pallet house for dogs design by 99 Ideas has a simple four-walls and roof design that will keep your pet cool or warm, depending on the season.
- Good for the environment
- You can also often pick up recycled wood pallets from local businesses
- Simple design for those who are just starting out building their own pallet house for your pup
- If you don’t have access to recycled wood, you’re probably going to end up buying new materials
Breezy Pallet Dog House Plans
This particularly dog house is great if you live in a rather mild climate that doesn’t require too much outdoor protection for your dog. These dog house plans, offered up by Shanty2Chic, show a simple, open-wall dog house with an A-frame roof. It’s great for a little bit of shade but doesn’t offer much to the elements.
- Fewer materials mean that this dog house will take less money to build and less time
- It’s a relatively easy set up for beginner DIYers who want to have a cute pallet house
- It’s more decorative than function for insulation
- There are no walls, which means this will not work for keeping your dog warm or protected from the elements
Gazebo Pallet Dog House Plans
Here’s another easy to build pallet pup house that comes from Jen Woodhouse. This simple dog house has four walls and a roof with space between the slats that leave lots of space for a nice breeze and the sunlight to come through.
This is a simple design that also has a lot of style and room for being a unique pallet canine house for your yard.
- Easy to make for beginners
- The plans are free and come included with all of the instructions you need to build this dog house
- Lots of open space between the planks allow for a nice breeze
- Your dog will keep both shaded and cool during the summer months
- Lack of insulation for the winter months
- Open slats between the planks make it ineffective for rain
Insulated Pallet Dog House Plans
While a lot of these stylish pallet pup houses are fun, they leave a bit to be desired when it comes to insulation. That’s why this insulated dog house by DIY Tyler is perfect for people who need to have both a fun and functional pallet house.
This dog house has a simple four-wall design with a slanted roof and, of course, insulation to help regulate the temperature.
- Simple design and the plans come with a video to help you build the dog house step by step
- Insulation helps keep your dog warm during the cooler months and cool during the warmer months
- Insulation may bump up the cost of your pallet house a bit more than if you were just to use wood
Double Dog Pallet Dog House Plans
Now, this is a cool pallet dog home: double doors allowing more than one dog to enjoy the shade of their dog house. The plans are available from Intelligent Domestications.
This double-door dog house is wide and spacious enough to allow two average size dogs to share the space without any problem. The plans come with the supply list and all of the instructions you need to build this, no matter your skillset.
- Perfect for a two-dog household
- Spacious and with room to put in insulation if you’d like to turn this into an insulated pallet house
- Very wide dog house, which means you’ll have to have the space to build it
Modern Pallet Dog House Plans
Another incredibly cool pallet pooch house, this particular dog house is designed to look like a sleek, cool modern house, complete with a small porch and windows for your dog to peek out of. This is a dog house that’s both easy on the eyes and functional.
You can keep your dog sheltered from the elements in the cooler months, and keep them shaded from the sun during summer. You can find these plans at Modern Build.
- Plans come with an 8-minute instruction video so that you can see just how to put this cool dog house together
- A little more challenging for those DIYers who like to show off their skills
- The windows are a little small and high up on the structure, so there might not be a lot of air circulation
- A narrow entranceway might make it difficult for larger dogs to get in and out of this particular house.
Cottage Style Pallet Dog House Plans
If you’ve been searching through this list looking for a dog house with pallets that is big enough to house your monster of a pup, then you’ve reached the right place. This cottage-style pallet house by Jay’s Custom Creations has plans with measurements that will fit a large dog.
This particular dog house is designed to look just like a little, vintage cottage. It’s the perfect DIY project for someone with a lot of creativity and skill.
- Super unique and creative design
- Built for large breeds of dogs
- Add insulation to make it perfect for any weather condition
- Might be difficult for more inexperienced DIYers and beginners
- The design and size make this one more material and labor-intensive
Pallet Dog House With a Porch Plans
Still looking for a pallet pooch house that will fit your larger breed of dog? Here’s another for the list. This pallet dog home is wide, tall, and has two windows that let in a nice breeze as well as sunlight. This simple design is given a bit of flair with an easy-to-build porch with a slanted roof. You can find the plans from Build Something.
- The instructions come with a cutting guide, a materials list, step-by-step pictures, and extras that you can add to this dog house
- Easy to make for new or inexperienced DIYers
- While the inside is large, the door for your dog to get in is low to the ground underneath the awning of the porch
- The windows are small and only on one side, which may limit airflow
Insulated A-Frame Pallet Dog House
Another house that’s perfect for those of you who need to have an insulated dog house to protect your dogs from the elements. This A-frame pallet house is ideal for a small to average size dog, but won’t have the space for your larger types of dogs. The plan is based on having about 9-feet of space, and all the materials you need can be bought for less than $100.
- Insulation makes this particular dog house perfect for those who live in colder climates
- This plan includes step by step instructions as well as pictures of what each step should look like for newer DIYers
- The size of this pallet dog home makes it easy to move around and position in your yard
- The A-frame design makes it a little difficult for larger dogs to fit into this pallet dog kennel
- There is one door and no other openings, which can limit the airflow inside the dog house
And there you have it! Here are twelve different DIY dog houses that you can absolutely make yourself from pallets.
Don’t spend hundreds of dollars on a pre-built dog house, especially if you have the tools, time, and materials, then it’s easy to make a dog house from pallets for yourself - your beloved pooch will definitely thank you for it.
All of the plans on this list are entirely free for download, and almost all of them come with a materials list, a cut list, and step-by-step guides on how to build your dog's pallet house.
If you’re new to DIY, then don’t worry: most of these dog houses will be easy for you to make, too. There are also several on this list that are perfect for seasoned craftsmen who want a bit of a challenge.